More than 90% of the Williamsburg Fire Department’s employees received the first dose of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine at Riverside Doctors’ Hospital.
Any WFD personnel or volunteers trained as an EMT or paramedic had the option to receive the vaccination. Four volunteers and 41 employees opted in, all receiving the first round of the vaccine in the past week. They will receive the second and final round in about four weeks.
Most of the city’s emergency medical workers received their vaccination at a clinic on Saturday, Jan. 2, 2021, at Riverside Doctors’ Hospital as part of Phase 1A of the distribution plan established by the Virginia Department of Health (VDH).
“This is an exciting time for our EMS personnel. These men and women have been on the front lines for the past 43 weeks responding to medical calls while knowing they are at an increased risk of encountering patients with COVID-19,” said Brad Beam, EMS Battalion Chief and the City’s infectious disease control officer. “Having our EMS providers vaccinated helps ensure the continuity of our operations and helps mitigate the virus’s spread.”
Riverside Health System is handling the COVID vaccinations for most of the EMTs and paramedics on the Peninsula; VDH will handle the vaccinations for Hampton personnel.
The City is working with the Virginia Department of Health to prepare for the next phases of distribution. Emergency management personnel have been meeting weekly with surrounding jurisdictions to ensure a collaborative approach to community vaccinations.
COVID-19 Vaccine Phase Distribution:
- Phase 1a: Healthcare workers and the older adults living in congregate living situations
- Phase 1b: Those 75 years and older and essential frontline workers
- Phase 1c: Those 65 years and older, those with chronic health conditions putting them at risk from COVID-19 disease and essential workers not included in Phase 1b.
- Phase 2: (anticipated) Other critical workers, adults with moderate risk from COVID-19 disease, those living in other congregate living situations
- Phase 3: (anticipated) Children, young adults and additional professions (to be determined)
- Phase 4: (anticipated) General population
Learn more about the vaccine phase distribution at riversideonline.com.