Parking Ambassador Overview
The Williamsburg Police Department is seeking applicants for the position of Parking Ambassador. Duties and responsibilities include working in conjunction with the citizens and the community on resolving parking issues and enforcing the parking laws and ordinances of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the City of Williamsburg fairly and impartially. Parking Ambassadors proactively make positive citizen contacts, providing parking assistance, giving recommendations, and answering questions. The ability to work schedules that include days, nights, and occasionally weekends or holidays is required. Work is regularly performed in an outside environment that includes various weather conditions and temperature extremes.
Completed applications can be submitted online or in person at the Williamsburg Police Department.
Applications are being accepted through October 20, 2023, at 4:00 pm.
The Oral Review Board for top candidates will be conducted on October 26 and October 27, 2023.
Those candidates selected will be scheduled for a physical between November 6 - 10, 2023.
The Parking Ambassador position is part-time with no benefits. Starting pay is $19.00 per hour.
The following forms must be completed along with your application:
The City of Williamsburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Monitors parking lots, garages, and roadways for overtime violators.
- Assesses parking problems.
- Develops solutions for parking issues.
- Maintains garage equipment and reports breakdowns for repair.
- Assists customers in the use of pay-on-foot stations
- Writes tickets for parking violations.
- Works with the City’s Finance Department as it relates to parking and associated fees.
- Obtains summons from Magistrate.
- Testifies in court.
- Responds to Citizen parking complaints
- Responds to tourist-related questions
- Work with Citizens and the Community.
- Looks out for people in need and assists them. Perform foot patrols to ensure signage and equipment are functioning properly, there are no hazards, and no one needs help.
- Check shopping centers (Quarterpath Crossing & Williamsburg Shopping Center) for parking violations handicap violations, fire lane violations, etc.
- Make contact with citizens, enforce, or use discretion as they deem appropriate.
- Any downtime must be dedicated to drive-thrus in zones 1, 2, and 3
- Make citizen contacts in neighborhoods, look for disabled vehicles, left-to-curb violations, fire hydrants, or any other illegal or improper parking.
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of parking ordinances.
- Ability to testify in court.
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to communicate utilizing a two-way radio system.
- Ability to deal with hostile people.
- Ability to operate small office equipment, including copy machines or multi-line telephone systems.
- Ability to operate computers for data entry, word processing, and/or accounting purposes.
- Must be at least 18 and a US Citizen,
- High school diploma or GED equivalent,
- No felony, Class I, or Class II misdemeanor convictions,
- No misdemeanor convictions involving drugs, moral turpitude, or domestic violence,
- Valid Virginia Operator's License with no convictions within the last five years resulting in suspension,
- No DWI, DUI, or DUID convictions in the last 5 years.
News & Information
The Williamsburg Police Department is currently hiring part-time Parking Ambassadors. Please apply online and complete the forms listed below.