- Join WPD
A full list of disqualifiers and minimum qualifications can be found here.
Applicants will be disqualified for any of the following reasons:
- Fails to keep an appointment in the selection process without notifying the Professional Services Bureau. The applicant will be allowed to enter the next selection process by resubmitting an Application Form.
- Making false or misrepresenting statements on Application or Background Questionnaire. Such conduct will preclude applicants from future application.
- Fails to be certified as physically fit to perform the duties of a Police Officer. If the condition of the applicant changes, applicant may reapply by resubmitting an Application Form after next job announcement.
- Two or more moving violations within twelve months of applying.
- No Driving Under the Influence (DUI) violations within 60 months of applying.
- Applicants must have good credit history with no bankruptcy petition filed or pending with in the last sixty months. The Chief of Police may waive this requirement for extraordinary circumstances. Applicant may provide information regarding the circumstances of any bankruptcy or negative credit history, which will be considered by the Chief of Police in reviewing the application. Waiver of this requirement shall be solely at the discretion of the Chief of Police.
- Any felony convictions.
- Convictions of a crime involving domestic violence or moral turpitude.
- Having a less than honorable discharge from the U.S. military.
- Use of any illegal drug or substance other than marijuana. If marijuana was used, usage must not be within the last one year of applying.
- Unsatisfactory work history.
- Not a U.S. Citizen.
- Body Piercing: Employees shall only wear the earrings authorized in the Administrative Orders, no other body piercing jewelry shall be worn. Employees are prohibited from wearing jewelry in their tongue, eyebrows, cheeks, or other body parts (except in the ears) while on-duty.
- Tattoos and Brands: Tattoos on the ears, head, face, nose, eyebrows, neck, or tongue are prohibited. Tattoos on all other parts of the body shall be covered at all times by issued clothing or by utilizing commercially available cosmetics or fabric covers made for the purpose of covering tattoos. If commercial products are used, they must be of a skin-tone color and be neutral in appearance.
- Must not have produced a positive result on a pre-employment drug screening, if such screening is required by the hiring law-enforcement agency or jail, where the positive result cannot be explained to the law enforcement agency or jail administrator's satisfaction. In addition, all such officer who enter upon the duties of such office after July 1, 2013, shall not have been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to (a) any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude including but not limited to petit larceny under 18.2-96, or any offense involving moral turpitude that would be a misdemeanor if committed in the Commonwealth, (b) any misdemeanor sex offense in the Commonwealth, another state, or the United States, including but not limited to sexual battery under 18.2-67.4 or consensual sexual intercourse with a minor 15 or older under clause (ii) of 18.2-371, or domestic assault under 18.2-57.2 or any offense that would be domestic assault under the laws of another state or United States.
The City of Williamsburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Professional Services BureauPhysical Address
425 Armistead Avenue
Williamsburg, VA 23185
Phone: (757) 220-2331Fax: (757) 259-7204Emergency Phone: 911