The City of Williamsburg is committed to ensuring the quality and safety of its natural and built environment and we understand the importance of our responsibility to future generations. We will continuously improve environmental practices and strive to become a model of environmental stewardship. We invite you to learn more about what we're doing and then ask yourself: What are you doing?
Williamsburg City Council and staff are committed to Environmental Sustainability. In 2008, Council passed a City Council Resolution 08-17, Setting Forth an Environmental Sustainability Policy for the City of Williamsburg.
Past & Present Recognition for the City's Green Efforts
- 2016 Gold Award for Water Treatment Plant Performance from the VA Department of Health, Office of Drinking Water
- 2018 Virginia Municipal League's Go Green Government - Platinum Certificate
- City Council Votes to Go Paperless with iPads
- Green Features of the Municipal Building Energy Retrofit
- The League of American Bicyclists - Bicycle Friendly Community - Bronze Level 2013-2017
- The U.S. Green Building Council - LEED Silver Certification for the Stryker Center
- Williamsburg Farmers Market Ranked in Nation's Top Five 2016
- Williamsburg-Yorktown Daily Profiles City's Public Works Team - June 2, 2009
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ)
Each year DEQ mandates that localities recycle a minimum 25% out of the waste stream. To gather this information, we combine our Williamsburg curbside residential recycling tonnages with Williamsburg business recycling tonnages. We gather the business tonnages by mailing a letter with each business license renewal. Once combined, we're able to calculate the percentage of recyclables that were diverted out of the landfill for that year.
Is this a lot of work? Yes, but it's a great way for the State and the City to gauge whether we are surpassing or not reaching the goal. In 2019, 5,673 tons were recycled, yielding the City 34%. Thank you to our businesses and residents for helping us surpass our goal.
For more information view their 2020 Annual Solid Waste Report.
Make Your Life Greener
Here are some easy things you can do to lessen your carbon footprint:
- Conserve water
- Guidelines on properly disposing of medications
- Leave your car behind
- Send us your ideas or thoughts by emailing the Public Works Department
- Sign up for EcoGrams – periodic emails from the City regarding green events and issues
Garbage / Recycling Collection Notifications
City of Williamsburg residents-never forget your garbage or recycling collection day again. Sign up for automatic reminders. You'll also receive reminders about Leaf Collection, Household Chemical Collections and if there would be any interruption in service such as holidays or weather.
Want to impact the Williamsburg community around you? Request a Litter Kit to conduct your own litter cleanup. Kits are customized to fit your needs and include:
- Litter Grabbers
- Safety Vests
- Trash bags
Email the Public Works Department or call our office at 757-220-6140 to request a kit.